Thanksgiving hits Canadian tables this weekend and while the cooking is usually saved to Moms and Grandmas, Dads and Granddads take to the carving. This post aims to change that a little bit and help you get your mitts dirty in the kitchen and look like a star.
This recipe was adapted from my grandmother’s traditional stuffing. It was created for Season Two of Rob Feenie’s New Classics on Food Network Canada.
If you really want to go above and beyond, check out these wine pairings for thanksgiving dinner – some great grapes to go with the turkey. Now, on to the Bourbon Berry Stuffing recipe!!
* 1 c of Bourbon [or more ;)]
* 2 stalks diced celery
* 1 large diced onion
* 1 diced apple
* 1 package of fresh poultry seasoning [thyme, rosemary and sage]
* 1 loaf of cubed white bread
* 1 lb of sausage meat
* ½ c of dried cranberries
* ½ c of dried blueberries
* ½ c of blackberries
* Sautee the onion, celery, apple and poultry seasoning until transparent.
* Add the sausage and brown the sausage meat. Set aside.
* Mix cubed bread, dried berries. Add sausage mixture to the bread mixture.
* Slowly add the bourbon until the mixture becomes moist and sticks together.
* Stuff it in the bird and bake away!!
Flickr photo by Muffet.