[twitter]I don’t want to say it’s back-to-school season, but it is. We are already searching for shoes and backpacks to get ready for September. The emails are starting to come from school administration warning us about what to have on hand for the new school year, and this year’s back-to-school supply shopping list has a few twists to it:
Yes, you still need rulers, and crayons, and paper, and glue sticks, but the modern day student’s back to school supply shopping list has evolved. Here’s what I am seeing on notes from schools:
- Priority one is a sturdy backpack with lots of pockets and padding. This SwissGear model fits the bill.
- Trapper Keeper is back in school this fall with tablet cases to go along with their usual rundown of binders to keep projects together.
- Schools want kids to have their own water bottles and I’m seeing them specify a press dispenser operation, not just screw on lid, so they are spill proof.
- With more projects and classrooms going digital a flash drive memory stick is on many lists. Get one with a key ring on the base so you can easily attach it to a backpack zipper, or their house keys.
- One school board back-to-school supply shopping list I saw mentioned each student had to bring one box of facial tissues (presumably 20-30 boxes would be a year’s supply). I’d go a step further and pack along hand sanitizer for your kid and get them to scrub up with that stuff twice a day. At least.
Win Your Back-To-School Supply List
Once you’ve figured out what’s on your Back-To-School Supply List enter it here with Great Clips’ #GreatList contest to win $100 towards your back to school shopping.
#GREATLIST contest entrants receive a $2-off Great Clips coupon with their confirmation email the first time they submit a school supply list.
Back To School Haircut Help
Which is the other side of back to school – the haircuts.
When the boys spent a week with my parents this summer, my dad took to combing their hair. While we will detangle the boys’ hair, we never style it. It’s rough, tumble, ragamuffin style for our boys. It always has been.
Not when Grandpapa is the stylist though:
Oh, 1978 me feels all sorts of pain for my children right there. In the midst of all the hustle of back-to-school shopping, grab the Great Clips app to get their cuts done too.
Many Great Clips salons are offering back-to-school pricing for haircuts! Please visit your local salon for pricing details and #GREATLIST contest entrants receive a $2-off Great Clips coupon with their confirmation email the first time they submit a school supply list. One coupon per customer.
You check in online, getting yourself in the queue before you even walk in the store. The app tells you how long the wait will be, so you can time your arrival to get the next available stylist without wasting any valuable shopping time while the kids are actually behaving.
Help Adopt A Classroom
Another reason to get the app? You’ll be helping Great Clips Adopt A Classroom to get it ready for the school year. If you’ve followed my musings on the public school system in the past, you know the budget trimming gets to me. They pinch pennies on classrooms while dropping dimes on administrative salaries. While parents’ fees increase, so do salaries for the Chief Superintendent. Caught in the middle, trying to mask the impact on students, are the teachers.
On average, teachers spend $1,000 of their own money just to make sure their students have the resources they need to learn. Since Great Clips is all about GREAT, they teamed up with Adopt A Classroom to help deserving teachers.
This what they’ve already done helping out a few teachers:
About the #GREATLIST contest
Contest Start Date: 7/15
Contest End Date: 9/5
Contest Prize : The winners’ school supply list
Prize Value: Up to $100
Eligibility: #GREATLIST (the “Contest”) is open to individuals,18 and older who are legal residents of the United States (including the District of Columbia) and Canada.
What counts as an entry? Typing or uploading the list file to the site.
Who is choosing the winner(s)? Great Clips chooses randomly on a daily basis.
Shipping logistics: Great Clips will ship winners’ prize to their door for free!
For full contest details and terms and conditions, please visit the #GREATLIST contest page.