I do birthday posts for the kids all the time. Letters about how they are, how I see them, what they’re interested in, and what their personalities are like at each age.
It’s interesting when you’re a parent to measure the growth of your kids, but not so interesting to measure your own growth. I turned 46 last week. The clock is moving too quickly, my friends.
My wife tossed up one of those silly Facebook-y quizzes that people love to cut and paste and share. The idea is you’re supposed to ask your kids these questions quickly and without negotiation, just writing down their first answer.
So, on the occasion of my birthday, my 6 and 8 year old boys wrote a post about me and how they see me.
1. What is something dad always says to you? Please be good.
2. What makes dad happy? Us behaving
3. What makes dad sad? Us not behaving
4. How does your dad make you laugh? By tickling me
5. What was your dad like as a child? He was always listening to his parents
6. How old is your dad? 46
7. How tall is your dad? 60 inches
8. What is his favorite thing to do? Go on the radio and be with his family
9. What does your dad do when you’re not around? Go on the radio
10. If your dad becomes famous, what will it be for? For him having so much money
11. What is your dad really good at? Editing videos and being on the radio
12. What is your dad not very good at? trying not to fart
13. What does your dad do for a job? can’t remember
14.What is your dad’s favourite food? Guacamole
15.What makes you proud of your dad? That he helps me so much.
16. If your dad were a character, who would he be? Luke Skywalker or Chewie
17. What do you and your dad do together? “Bogganing” Mountain biking and videos.
18. How are you and your dad the same? Because we have the same eye colour and mole
19. How are you and your dad different? Because he’s older than me and wears glasses.
20. How do you know your dad loves you? Because he always is trying to help me do things.
21. Where is your dad’s favourite place to go? The Mountains and go for hikes
22. How old was your dad when you were born? 38 or 30?