March 2,is Dr Theodor Seuss Geisil‘s birthday.
It’s true, parents no longer read fairy tales to their kids, because they are old and dated, but the century old stories of Dr Seuss have stood the test of time.
The simple rhythmic and rhyming structure of his prose are almost Shakespearean in nature. They’re easy to read, easy to remember, and, most importantly, silly.
Green Eggs and Ham was the first book I ever read on my own. Now I’m sharing those stories with my sons.
Hollywood is taking advantage of Dr Seuss‘ birthday by releasing The Lorax, and we’ll likely see it this weekend. But, more importantly, we’ll dig up a few of the books, cuddle on the couch and read along and laugh.
Why do we love Dr Seuss? Here are 13 quotes from his stories to inspire you:
1. From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.
2. Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.
3. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.
4. Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.
5. Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So… get on your way.
6. If things start happening, don’t worry, don’t stew, just go right along and you’ll start happening too.
7. Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.
8. So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.
9. And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.
10. Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
11. If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.
12. You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
13. Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.