This guest post is from smonkyou.

Everyone asks the obligatory question of what we want to have, a boy or girl. I think about 80% of the people care what the answer is. The other 20% want the answer to be ‘I don’t care as long as it’s healthy.’

In fact a couple I’ve have been chastised, and lectured about my answer when it wasn’t healthy. And that really pisses me off because that wasn’t the question. I’ve never been asked ‘would you rather have a healthy kid or would you rather pick the sex’ because that’s really what you’re asking if the answer should be healthy.

And let’s say the baby isn’t healthy. It’s still going to be a boy or girl, right? So shouldn’t I still be able to have a preference?

And as I said before I don’t really care as long as it snowboards.

So why am I writing this today? Because Staci weaseled here way into getting our ultrasound a week early.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit freaked out.

Staci made up a card that we gave to the nurse running the ultrasound. It had 2 boxes on it. One with boy after it, the other with girl. We told the nurse that instead of telling us what it was we’d like her to mark it on the card and put it in an envelope. Then Staci and I would go out for a nice lunch and open the card together and reveal the surprise.

Again our pre-kid was flipping around like crazy. We saw a good heartbeat (150 bpm) and the hearts 4 chambers looked great.

The head, abdomen, sacrum and all that stuff measured perfectly. We were able to see all it’s leg and arm bones, which was pretty cool.

Then came time for the nurse to find out what we were having. Staci and I closed our eyes while the nurse did her magic.

Smonk You's son/daughter

Smonk You's son/daughter

After 20 minutes she printed this picture out. It is of crossed legs. The pre-kid was in a position that made it tough to see what it was. To add to that it’s legs stayed crossed the whole time even though it was moving around.

The nurse couldn’t tell what it was. She couldn’t see a thing. The pre-kid was being modest. Not a bad thing if it’s a girl.

The irony is, the only thing we know right now is that it looks healthy. And that’s great.

Staci is really bummed. I’m actually kind of happy. From the start I didn’t need to know what we’re having. Plus Staci has a hard time with secrets. If she has one for me she’ll say ‘I got you a surprise, do you want to know what it is?’ And she doesn’t like when she knows I’m trying to surprise her. She always tries to guess what’s up. But when I do surprise her she is so happy that she glows. And I love it.

We’re talking things over right now. I think we should wait to be surprised. We’re doing a white bedroom and have some bright decals we’re putting up but nothing is gender specific. Plus the gear we’ve bought, stroller, car seat etc. is all gender neutral. I think Staci is on board. I think she’s getting excited about being surprised, but we’ll see how that all plays out.


About this author:
Kenny is married to Staci and lives with his dog Kalli (an American Dingo) and 2 cats; Random and Zoggs. He’s a dad-to-be, expecting his first at the end of January 2010. You can read more at smonkyou.com.

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

comments